New Mexico Man “Forgotten” In Solitary Confinement For 2 Years Gets $15.5 Million Dollar Settlement

This is a story from right here in our home county. Notice the slant of this article…starting with the original title, “New Mexico inmate left in solitary confinement for 2 years gets $15.5 million” which implies he had been convicted of a crime and was a prisoner instead of someone who never even went to trial or was convicted! Later in the article our county points out that, “that Slevin’s criminal history at the time of his arrest included out-of-state convictions for robberies, burglaries, drunken driving, receiving stolen property, firearms violations and, possession of drugs…” as if any of that has a damn thing to do with his being wrongfully imprisoned and tortured for 2 years! Infuriating story both in content and delivery…

Excerpt, Fox News “A southern New Mexico county announced Tuesday that it reached a $15.5 million settlement to end the legal battle over the case of a man who was held in solitary confinement for two years without a trial and was so neglected that he took out his own tooth.

The settlement stems from mediation ordered by the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Dona Ana County was appealing a lower court decision that upheld a $22 million judgment that was awarded last year to former county inmate Stephen R. Slevin.

That verdict was one of the largest federal civil rights settlements in history.

The county’s board of commissioners said in a statement that it regrets the harm Slevin suffered while in custody between August 2005 and June 2007.

“Over the past seven years, Dona Ana County has made significant improvements to detention center staffing, training, facilities and procedures,” the county said. “Dona Ana County is committed to ensuring consistent and appropriate treatment of every detainee in its care.”

Slevin spent 22 months in the county jail after being arrested for drunken driving but was never convicted, according to his lawsuit.

Attorney Matthew Coyte said his client ended up in solitary confinement after someone noted he was suicidal. He was so neglected, Coyte said, he was left in his cell for months at a time, had untreated dental problems and toenails that grew so long they curled under his feet.

The county defended its operation of the jail following the initial $22 million judgment in January 2012. It argued that Slevin was offered a chance to join the general jail population, but declined and the only option was to place him in one of the jail’s segregation cells.

The county had also said that Slevin’s criminal history at the time of his arrest included out-of-state convictions for robberies, burglaries, drunken driving, receiving stolen property, firearms violations and, possession of drugs…”

Full Story Here on Fox

Advertisements

About WyldMoonChyld

Artist, activist.
This entry was posted in New Mexico, Solitary Confinement, Torture and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to New Mexico Man “Forgotten” In Solitary Confinement For 2 Years Gets $15.5 Million Dollar Settlement

  1. moorbey says:

    No amount of money can make up 4 the time one spendz in solitary confinement. Back in tha day i did 6 weekz on the darkside and it wasn’t nothing nice.

    • MisBehaved Woman says:

      I can’t begin to imagine what this man must have gone through or what permanent mental damage has been done…the county’s attitude during this whole ordeal has been inexcusable and in no way are any of them sorry. Hell, it’s not like the ones responsible will be paying the settlement or got in trouble even so what do they care??

  2. Pingback: Two Years Solitary Confinement For DUI | YouViewed/Editorial

  3. Pingback: Two Years Solitary Confinement For Suspected DUI | YouViewed/Editorial

Comments are closed.